do people really complain about significant whitespace?

Jason tenax.raccoon at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 19:47:57 EDT 2006

bearophileHUGS at lycos.com wrote:
> Jason wrote:
> > He points out that if some code gets accidentally dedented, it is
> > difficult for another programmer to determine which lines were supposed
> > to be in the indented block.  I pointed out that if someone
> > accidentally moves a curly brace, the same problem can occur.
>
> I like significant whitespace, but a forum, newsgroup manager (like
> Google Groups in the beginning), email management program, blog comment
> system, etc, may strip leading whitespace, and it usually doesn't
> "move" braces. A language (like Python) doesn't exist alone in vacuum,
> it exists in an ecosystem of many other programs/systems, and if they
> don't manage leading whitespace well, such language may have some
> problems :-)
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

Certainly, you are correct.  Most of the time, I zip up any source code
for email purposes.  But newsgroup managers are certainly an issue.
For comment thingies online, the preformat tag is your friend, too.

It is annoying that certain communication channels do not respect
white-space.  I dislike using braces because I have to indicate my
intentions twice: once for the compiler and once for humans.

In the situations where I use Python, though, I haven't had a problem.
In the situations where my coworker is using Python (code updates
through CVS), he also shouldn't have a problem.