do people really complain about significant whitespace?

brianmce at gmail.com brianmce at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 08:00:20 EDT 2006

Slawomir Nowaczyk wrote:

> I must admit I do not get this "indicate intentions twice" argument,
> even though I heard it a number of times now... It's not that braces
> require more work or more typing or something, after all -- at least
> not if one is using a decent editor.

Its not the typing, its the fact that when you say the same thing
twice, there is the potential for them to get out of sync.  If the
method the compiler uses (braces) and the method the human uses
(indentation) to determine what the code does don't agree, then a
reader will be likely to misunderstand what it will actually do.  One
of the driving principles behind Python is that, because code will be
read more often than written, readability is more important.