do people really complain about significant whitespace?

bearophileHUGS at lycos.com bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon Aug 7 18:58:43 EDT 2006

Jason wrote:
> He points out that if some code gets accidentally dedented, it is
> difficult for another programmer to determine which lines were supposed
> to be in the indented block.  I pointed out that if someone
> accidentally moves a curly brace, the same problem can occur.

I like significant whitespace, but a forum, newsgroup manager (like
Google Groups in the beginning), email management program, blog comment
system, etc, may strip leading whitespace, and it usually doesn't
"move" braces. A language (like Python) doesn't exist alone in vacuum,
it exists in an ecosystem of many other programs/systems, and if they
don't manage leading whitespace well, such language may have some
problems :-)

Bye,
bearophile