text editor suggestion?

Roberto Bonvallet rbonvall at cern.ch
Mon Aug 21 07:59:49 EDT 2006

John Salerno wrote:
> I'd really like to learn vim, but I spent days just trying to figure out
> how to get the syntax highlighting and indentation working, where these
> settings are and how to edit them, and it still doesn't work for me. It
> just feels so insurmountable that I can't even start working with it yet
> because I don't know how to tailor the settings.

Create a vimrc file (if you use Unix: ~/.vimrc) with the following lines in
it:

    syntax on
    set autoindent
    set smartindent

If you find that using vim is hard, try using evim (easy vim).  It is part
of the standard vim distribution (actually it's the same program).  Anyway,
I suggest learning the classic modal vim, it's really worth it.
--
Roberto Bonvallet