text editor suggestion?

Alexander Jakopin setrodox at powerhuhn.net
Sun Aug 20 02:57:06 EDT 2006

John Salerno <johnjsal at nospamgmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, I know it's been asked a million times, but I have a more specific
> question so hopefully this won't be just the same old post. I've tried a
> few different editors, and I really like UltraEdit, but it's
> Windows-only and I'm working more on Linux nowadays.
>
> Here are my criteria:
>
> 1. syntax highlighting (highly customizable)
> 2. auto/smart indenting
> 3. ability to run script
> 4. light-weight text editor, not an IDE
> 5. cross-platform (not really necessary, but nice)
>
> That's pretty much all I need. It's nice when you can customize a bunch
> of other stuff too, but those are the most important.
>
> I've tried vim, but I really don't feel like taking the time to learn
> how to use it, given that I just like to casually program (not to
> mention that I prefer to use the mouse when navigating a document
> sometimes).

Vim is rather nice once you know it, but i can understand that not
everyone has the time to learn it.

There is Cream[1] which is supposed to be a more modern configuration of
VIM. I also remember using JED[2] for a while, but i can't remember the
features of it well, so i can't say if they fullfill your requirements
or not.

[1] http://cream.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://www.jedsoft.org/jed/

-- setrodox