text editor suggestion?

Ravi Teja webraviteja at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 00:02:53 EDT 2006

> I also just started using Scite, and I really like it, except I find its
> syntax highlighting to be very inflexible. You aren't able to define
> your own groups of words -- you have to use what's given, basically. One
> thing I like about UltraEdit is that you simply define as many groups of
> keywords as you want and then assign a style to each one. Scite has a
> very strange and rigid method of highlighting.

Stick to SciTE. It takes almost no learning effort and meets everyone
of those requirements. As far as customerization goes, SciTE can be
customerized quite well. In fact, it can even be scripted with Lua. You
seem to be using the single file executable which does not come with
the configuration files. Otherwise, I cannot see how you could be
missing this ability.

Try this one instead if you are on Windows.
http://gisdeveloper.tripod.com/scite.html

You need to edit the file python.properties to add keywords.

Windows - C:\Program Files\SciTe\python.properties
Debian - /usr/share/scite/python.properties