The whitespaceless frontend

DH no at spam.com
Sat Apr 15 08:14:44 EDT 2006

Stelios Xanthakis wrote:
> It had to happen :)
>
>     http://pyvm32.infogami.com/EPL
>
> Seriously, this is not so much about the whitespace as for the
> new features, which might interest people who are thinking about
> new features. More specifically, "methods" and the "$" operator
> are really great and seem to solve the problem with having to
> type "self." all the time.  The new syntax has been tested in
> core libraries of pyvm.
>
> Feedback is welcome, but preferably not in c.l.py because indentation
> can be a dangerous topic :)

Very nice work.  Lotta good ideas (of course that will never show up in
in standard python, but who cares).  I would mention though if you had
used "end" for block delimiters (like ruby) instead of curly braces,
there would be no conflict with dictionary literals.  I made such a
parser for another project.  Just my opinion but "end" looks a bit
cleaner too than curly braces.  Now if only you could make python
100 times faster, too.