MinGW and Python

Ross Ridge rridge at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Apr 28 14:25:34 EDT 2006

Ross Ridge write:

Ames Andreas wrote:
> There is certainly work underway to ease the use of msvcrXX in
> mingw built binaries.

Danny makes it pretty clear in the message you refered that he's not
working on that.

> 2) legal issues:  redistribution of msvcrXX
> No. 2 could be a show-stopper.

You'd have to point people who don't already have it to Microsoft's
download site.  This wouldn't be ideal, but then Python already points
Windows users to Microsoft's download site if they don't have MSI
already installed.

> There remains one technical issue that isn't a killer but would
> be inconvenient, IMHO:  Can pywin32 be made working with a
> mingw-python (I'm quite sure it can't be made building on it)?

I don't why it couldn't.  It works with old versions of Python that use
MSVCRT.DLL.

I think that having current versions of Python also linked MSVCRT.DLL,
whether compiled with MinGW or MSVC 6, 7 or 8, could be over all be a
better solution than using a CRT DLL specific to one version of
Microsoft's compiler.  It would make it possible to build extentions
with any version of MSVC, instead of just the one that Python was built
with.

                                    Ross Ridge