MinGW and Python

sturlamolden sturlamolden at yahoo.no
Fri Apr 28 15:42:35 EDT 2006

Ross Ridge wrote:

> You'd have to point people who don't already have it to Microsoft's
> download site.

Is there a download site? I have not been able to localise one.

> I think that having current versions of Python also linked MSVCRT.DLL,
> whether compiled with MinGW or MSVC 6, 7 or 8, could be over all be a
> better solution than using a CRT DLL specific to one version of
> Microsoft's compiler.  It would make it possible to build extentions
> with any version of MSVC, instead of just the one that Python was built
> with.

I am not sure it is good enough. For two reasons:

1. msvcrt.dll is intended for future use by system level components
only.
2. you need an import library for msvcrt.dll, if your VS don't ship
with one you are lost.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vclib/html/_crt_c_run.2d.time_libraries.asp

What is the difference between msvcrt.dll and msvcr71.dll?
The msvcrt.dll is now a "known DLL," meaning that it is a system
component owned and built by Windows. It is intended for future use
only by system-level components. An application should use and
redistribute msvcr71.dll, and it should avoid placing a copy or using
an existing copy of msvcr71.dll in the system directory. Instead, the
application should keep a copy of msvcr71.dll in its application
directory with the program executable. Any application built with
Visual C++ .NET using the /MD switch will necessarily use msvcr71.dll.