multiline comments

Jorge Godoy godoy at ieee.org
Wed Apr 19 07:40:57 EDT 2006

Edward Elliott wrote:

> Sure they can be abused.  So can a thousand other language features.  My
> point is you can't teach good coding through syntax, and trying to causes
> more problems than it solves.

I like the phrase: there are some languages that incentivates bad practices
in programming; there is Python that doesn't.

Some rigid syntax indeed makes you think one way -- and that's one of
Python's motto, isn't it?  "There's one right way to do it" -- but that
will make your code more understandable and readable in the future.

> I would argue the current system is in fact slightly worse, because people
> will comment out code chunks anyway (either lots of #s or triple-quotes)
> and are less likely to remove them when it's more work.  But either way,
> social pressure is infinitely more effective at cleaning up code than
> comment syntax.

Is it harder to remove "n" lines of code commented out with "#" than "n"
lines of multiline commented code?  How?  The same question goes for triple
quoted code.

--
Jorge Godoy      <godoy at ieee.org>

- Qualquer coisa dita em latim soa profundo.
- Anything said in Latin sounds smart.