running IDLE from another program?

Kent Johnson kent at kentsjohnson.com
Sat Apr 1 16:45:17 EST 2006

John Salerno wrote:
> Kent Johnson wrote:
>>One thing that is really useful about running in an editor window is
>>that (in TextPad, anyway) I can double-click on an error message and go
>>directly to the line with the error.
>

> Interesting. The way I have it now, it shows errors the way I want to,
> but it shows them just in a text file, nothing special, and I don't seem
> to be able to double-click them. Is this just a feature of TextPad, or
> did you have to set it up so you can double-click the errors?

mmm, both. TextPad lets me set a regular expression to interpret errors
as file/line. When that is set correctly the double-clicking works.

>>Try
>>C:\Python24\Lib\idlelib\idle -r C:\path\to\myprog.py
>

> I tried this but it said it couldn't find idle.pyw (even though it is
> there).

The working directory must be wrong. Try calling Python directly with
full paths:

C:\Python24\pythonw C:\Python24\Lib\idlelib\idle.pyw -r C:\path\to\myprog.py

Kent