Problem building Python on HP-UX

Dr. Who google at spiceaid.com
Fri Sep 2 13:52:34 EDT 2005

I'm trying to build Python 2.4.1 on HP-UX 11.00 with full tcl/tk IDLE
support.  So far, I haven't had any luck.  I always wind up getting
errors of the form:

ld: DP relative code in file
/ptg/devtools/hppa1.1/pre/lib/libtk8.4.a(tkWindow.o) - shared library
must be position independent.  Use +z or +Z to recompile.

I have tried building tcl/tk without any configure options as well as
with --disable-shared and --disable-load but this doesn't help.

Anyone seen anything like this or know how to get around it?

Jeff