Problem building Python on HP-UX

Trent Mick trentm at ActiveState.com
Fri Sep 2 15:43:15 EDT 2005

[Dr. Who wrote]
> I'm trying to build Python 2.4.1 on HP-UX 11.00 with full tcl/tk IDLE
> support.  So far, I haven't had any luck.  I always wind up getting
> errors of the form:
>
> ld: DP relative code in file
> /ptg/devtools/hppa1.1/pre/lib/libtk8.4.a(tkWindow.o) - shared library
> must be position independent.  Use +z or +Z to recompile.
>
> I have tried building tcl/tk without any configure options as well as
> with --disable-shared and --disable-load but this doesn't help.
>
> Anyone seen anything like this or know how to get around it?

For Python on HP-UX I build Tcl/Tk with --enable-shared. I don't *think*
I had to do much else special -- other than tweaking Python's setup.py
detect_tkinter() code to find where I had built and "installed" my
Tcl/Tk libs.

Cheers,
Trent

p.s. Note that we now have free ActivePython binary installers for
     HP-UX at ActiveState.
     http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePython/

--
Trent Mick