Python 2.4 under WinXP, free VC71 toolkit and VC6 libraries

Berthold Höllmann berthold at despammed.com
Wed Sep 28 03:11:27 EDT 2005

Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> writes:

> Berthold Höllmann wrote:
>> As I understand it, ctypes is not really a solution. The code is about
>> data handling and FE analysis. It has not GUI component. I'm not sure
>> how well ctypes works with Numeric arrays, but I'm sure ctypes does
>> not work on Linux and Solaris, but my code has to.
>
> Neither of those comments makes sense, so you probably _don't_
> understand what ctypes is.  Not only does it definitely work on Linux,
> but it has nothing to do per se with GUI components, and should work
> fine for "data handling" of just about any kind that is done by a DLL.
>
> I'm not sure what you were thinking of, but it probably wasn't ctypes.

OK, then. ctypes works under Linux and Solaris. But before I even
think about converting my code to ctypes (and convert lots of Linux
libraries from static to dynamic libraries), would the conversion
really address my problem? As I understand it, if there is an
incompatibility between VC6 and VC7 compiled libraries the issue comes
turns up with ctypes as well as with my current extension modules?

Kind regards
Berthold
--
                            __   Address: