Python 2.4 under WinXP, free VC71 toolkit and VC6 libraries

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Wed Sep 28 03:41:45 EDT 2005

Berthold Höllmann wrote:

> OK, then. ctypes works under Linux and Solaris. But before I even
> think about converting my code to ctypes (and convert lots of Linux
> libraries from static to dynamic libraries), would the conversion
> really address my problem? As I understand it, if there is an
> incompatibility between VC6 and VC7 compiled libraries the issue comes
> turns up with ctypes as well as with my current extension modules?

this thread is getting more and more bizarre.  are you seeing VC6/VC7 com-
patibility issues on Linux and Solaris?

(to answer your original question, you can often link VC7 code against a
VC6 library, but not always; some C features are implemented as macros
that depend on internal struct layouts, and inlined code sometimes depend
on the exact semantics of support functions in the C runtime libraries, etc.
You can get the same kind of problems if you're mixing /M different options
under the same compiler.  And no, ctypes won't recompile your libraries
for you, so those issues are still there.  Since VC7 is the current offering
from Microsoft, you should ask for an up-to-date version from your library
provider. If they cannot provide a version for the current Microsoft com-
piler, you may have to stay with Python 2.3 for the time being...)

</F>