Python reliability

Neal Norwitz nnorwitz at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 22:13:43 EDT 2005

Ville Voipio wrote:

> The software should be running continously for
> practically forever (at least a year without a reboot).
> Is the Python interpreter (on Linux) stable and
> leak-free enough to achieve this?

Jp gave you the answer that he has done this.

I've spent quite a bit of time since 2.1 days trying to improve the
reliability.  I think it has gotten much better.  Valgrind is run on
(nearly) every release.  We look for various kinds of problems.  I try
to review C code for these sorts of problems etc.

There are very few known issues that can crash the interpreter.  I
don't know of any memory leaks.  socket code is pretty well tested and
heavily used, so you should be in fairly safe territory, particularly
on Unix.