When someone from Britain speaks, Americans hear a "Britishaccent"...

Duncan Smith buzzard at urubu.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Oct 8 10:29:44 EDT 2005

Steve Holden wrote:
> Duncan Smith wrote:
>
>> Rocco Moretti wrote:
>
> [...]
>

>> So English is spoken only in the South East of England, except London?
>> I think you should also disbar the queen (unless she's already
>> classified as a Londoner), due to her apparent confusion between the 1st
>> person singular and 1st person plural :-).
>>
> There are special rules for the monarchs, who are expected to refer to
> themselves in the first person plural.
>
> Oscar Wilde understood this. When he boasted that he could speak
> extempore for a minute on any subject of a challenger's choosing someone
> shouted "The Queen", to which he replied "The Queen, sir, is not a
> subject".

Yes, although I'm not actually sure where the 'royal we' comes from; and
we (Brits) are technically subjects rather than citizens.  But if
northerners are not English speakers because we use words like 'aye'
(although we say far less understandable things than that) I think the
queen should be similarly classified for using the 'royal we'  :-).

Duncan