When someone from Britain speaks, Americans hear a "Britishaccent"...

Rocco Moretti roccomoretti at hotpop.com
Mon Oct 10 10:48:14 EDT 2005

Duncan Smith wrote:
> Steve Holden wrote:
>
>>There are special rules for the monarchs, who are expected to refer to
>>themselves in the first person plural.
>>

> Yes, although I'm not actually sure where the 'royal we' comes from;

I was under the (probably misinformed) impression that since the
King/Queen is the representative of the entire nation, they use the
first person plural, because when they speak they speak for the all the
(multiple) people in the land. I'm unaware of what term a monarch uses
in a private, rather than public, context. (Never having had the
opportunity to drink a pint with Lizzie, Chuck, and Cammie. :)