When someone from Britain speaks, Americans hear a "Britishaccent"...

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sat Oct 8 05:42:10 EDT 2005

Duncan Smith wrote:
> Rocco Moretti wrote:
[...]
> So English is spoken only in the South East of England, except London?
> I think you should also disbar the queen (unless she's already
> classified as a Londoner), due to her apparent confusion between the 1st
> person singular and 1st person plural :-).

There are special rules for the monarchs, who are expected to refer to
themselves in the first person plural.

Oscar Wilde understood this. When he boasted that he could speak
extempore for a minute on any subject of a challenger's choosing someone
shouted "The Queen", to which he replied "The Queen, sir, is not a subject".

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119