Jargons of Info Tech industry

Roedy Green my_email_is_posted_on_my_website at munged.invalid
Wed Oct 12 20:05:31 EDT 2005

uOn Wed, 12 Oct 2005 22:02:23 GMT, iddw at hotmail.com (Dave Hansen)
wrote or quoted :

>library, used my almost all Windoze email and web clients, would allow
>an attacker to execute any arbitrary code he wished on your computer
>simply by tricking you into viewing a doctored JPEG image.  Since
>solved (this problem is _so_ last year, dahling), but it belies your
>assertion that "pictures are not code."

By your definition all socket communications contains code because of
the existence of buffer overrun "bugs" -- probably deliberately put
there by unscrupulous employees.

The pictureness is not at fault. MS was at fault.

No  wonder the community has failed to solve spam with attitudes like
that -- extreme naysaying, misplacing the source of the problem, and
calling each other "dahling" is bound to get everyone out of a
problem-solving mode.

You probably were all told the story of the three sillies as a child
about people who wept themselves to inaction worrying imagined futures
rather than dealing with the realities of the present.  I think
fretting about minutiae, and the desire for a perfect ant-spam
solution has blocked getting on with a reasonable solution.
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.