Jargons of Info Tech industry

Casper H.S. Dik Casper.Dik at Sun.COM
Wed Oct 12 05:21:05 EDT 2005

Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVETHIScyber.com.au> writes:

>On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 14:27:30 +0000, axel wrote:

>> I don't know how much spam other people receive but on one account I
>> hardly receive any as I reserve it for friends and business. On another
>> I had about 40 spam messages which took all of ten seconds to delete.
>> Hardly a serious matter.

>Can I remind you that spam is approximately 70% of all email traffic these
>days? Most of that is blocked by the ISPs, but even so you are obviously
>one of the lucky few.

95% - 99% of all email, not 70% (just ask your ISP).

A large percentage of the cost of email is the cost of getting
rid of SPAM; and that cannot happen without colleteral damage in the
form of lost valid email, not just because of improper filtering but
also because the more layers are there to touch the email the bigger
the chances that it does not arrive.

>My work email address, on the other hand, is another story. We run a two
>layer defence: blocking blacklisted addresses at our mail server, and spam
>assassin at the individual user level. Even with that, I get about 100
>spams a day delivered into my inbox, although many of those are addressed
>to generic email addresses which are automatically forwarded to me.

Same here: Sun probably tosses 99% of the email directed at me, yet
I get well over 100 spams/day.

Casper
--
Expressed in this posting are my opinions.  They are in no way related
be fiction rather than truth.