wxPython Licence vs GPL

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 16:47:53 EST 2005

John Perks and Sarah Mount wrote:

[Andrea Gavan wrote:]
>>IIRC, wxPython license has nothing to do with GPL. Its license is far
> more
>>"free" than GPL is. If you want to create commercial apps with
> wxPython, you
>>can do it without messing with licenses.
>
> This isn't a commercial app though, it's for a research project and
> apparently it's a requirement that we have to GPL it. It's a question of
> what we need to add to our code to ensure that those fragments of
> someone else's wxPython-licenced code in our GPL'ed app to ensure that
> no license is transgressed, copyright violated or unatttributed or
> anyone having grounds to feel hard done by.

That's not a problem since the wxWidgets license specifically contains a
provision for relicensing wxPython et al. as GPL. See section 3 in the
file docs/lgpl.txt . The instructions there are fairly clear. You could
also do it without explicitly relicensing wxPython as GPL since the
license is GPL-compatible, but this may be easier for you.

As always, keep the copyright notices intact and follow the instructions
in the licenses. It's also a good idea to document exactly what changes
you have made and what is originally someone else's.

--
Robert Kern
robert.kern at gmail.com

  -- Richard Harter