wxPython Licence vs GPL

Ed Jensen ejensen at visi.com
Fri Nov 25 12:17:43 EST 2005

Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk> wrote:
> We'll have to wait and see what happens. There's a risk that versions
> of Python with different semantics or characteristics to the original
> could cause the development of parallel communities, instead of
> everyone working on/with the same project. The "harm done" is
> adequately described by paraphrasing your comment on licences: think
> how much farther along free software could be if all this energy and
> concern weren't expended on separate and sometimes proprietary code
> bases.

I think free software/open source has existed long enough and with
enough varied licenses (GPL, LGPL, modified LGPL (see wxWidgets), BSD,
X11, MIT, Apache, etc.) that we'd basically know without question if
less restritive licenses (like BSD) were causing projects to fail vs.
projects that use very heavy handed licenses (like GPL).  Apache and
Python are two of my favorite examples, followed by the *BSD operating
systems.

> Well, despite your protestations, I think the GPL and LGPL are fairly
> easy and safe choices for a lot of developers who know enough about
> Free Software (ie. haven't just seen the name and thought "that's the
> thing for me"), know what the characteristics of those licences are,
> and who don't have the time or legal experience to "performance due
> diligence".

To be honest, I don't dislike the LGPL that much.  The static vs.
dynamic linking issues bother me somewhat (which is why I like the
modified LGPL used by wxWidgets), but all in all, I can live (albeit
uncomfortably) with LGPL.  It seems much more sane.  Whereas including
one line of GPL code into your 10,000,000,000 line project can have
disasterous consequences (which I find ridiculous), at least with LGPL
you're only asked to share the changes you've made to that particular
library.

> Meanwhile, all this "hippie" and "chilling effect" talk is, I imagine,
> like having a discussion on software licensing with some cold war
> propagandist.

Sorry for my initial post on this subject being flamey.  I must've
been cranky that day, and I'm glad we were able to continue the
discussion.  :)