wxPython Licence vs GPL

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Fri Nov 25 09:21:01 EST 2005

Ed Jensen wrote:

[On proprietary ports of Python...]

> Show me the harm done.

We'll have to wait and see what happens. There's a risk that versions
of Python with different semantics or characteristics to the original
could cause the development of parallel communities, instead of
everyone working on/with the same project. The "harm done" is
adequately described by paraphrasing your comment on licences: think
how much farther along free software could be if all this energy and
concern weren't expended on separate and sometimes proprietary code
bases.

> Because I think a lot of well meaning software developers writing free
> software don't performance due diligence to determine the true
> motivation behind, and the chilling effect of, the GPL.

Well, despite your protestations, I think the GPL and LGPL are fairly
easy and safe choices for a lot of developers who know enough about
Free Software (ie. haven't just seen the name and thought "that's the
thing for me"), know what the characteristics of those licences are,
and who don't have the time or legal experience to "performance due
diligence".

Meanwhile, all this "hippie" and "chilling effect" talk is, I imagine,
like having a discussion on software licensing with some cold war
propagandist.

Paul