Python Graphing Utilities.

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue May 10 20:53:25 EDT 2005

Bill Mill wrote:

> On 5/10/05, Kenneth Miller <ken.miller at entouch.net> wrote:
>> Hello All,
>>
>>     I am new to Python and i was wondering what graphing utlities would be
>> available to me. I have already tried BLT and after weeks of unsuccesful
>> installs i'd like to find something else. Anything someone would recommend?
>
> matplotlib is awesome:
>
> http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/
>
> and gnuplot.py is passable:
>
> http://gnuplot-py.sourceforge.net/
>
> (a better version of gnuplot.py is available with the excellent
> ipython interpreter at http://ipython.scipy.org/)

Just to clarify: with ipython, you still need the default gnuplot-py package,
it's just that ipython enhances it a bit.

And I'd also second the matplotlib suggestion, to which I've by now fully
switched after years of faithful gnuplot usage.  Matplotlib is very good, has
an active development community, and it is designed from the ground up not
only as a library for rendering plots to screen/disk, but also for embedding
into guis (with support for Tk, WX, GTK, QT and FLTK).  So it should satisfy
the OP's  needs well, and if he has any problems with it, feel free to stop by
the user list which is fairly active.

As a disclaimer, while I've added support in ipython for interactive matplotlib
usage with most backends (except FLTK), I'm not a full-time developer.  So I
feel it's OK to cheer JDH's and all the rest of the team's excellent work on
matplotlib.

Best,