modifiable config files in compiled code?

Tom Willis tom.willis at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 09:22:31 EST 2005

 10 Mar 2005 06:02:22 -0800, gaudetteje at gmail.com <gaudetteje at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've been trying to come up with an elegant solution to this problem,
> but can't seem to think of anything better than my solution below.
>
> I have a Python program that needs to be converted into an executable.
> The problem is that I have a "config" template file that I've been
> using to modify initialization constants such as paths, global
> variables, structures, etc.  Obviously, once I convert my code into an
> executable I can no longer read/write to my configuration file.
>
> My solution was to convert this config file into a standard ASCII text
> document and have Python parse it for user set variables.  This doesn't
> seem like the most elegant of solutions; however, and I thought others
> must have implemented a better way than this.
>
> Anyone have a better solution for this problem?
>
> Jay
>
> --

Don't know if you knew about this.....

#example
from ConfigParser import ConfigParser

def getconfig():
    """
    initialize configuration settings
    """
    result = ConfigParser()
    result.read("config.ini")
    return result

def main():
    """
    runs the app
    """
    config = getconfig()

        dbsettings = {}

        for key,value in  config.items("db"):
           print "%s: %s" % (key,value)

        #etc...

#-------------------config.ini--------------
;db settings
[db]
server = 127.0.0.1
db = db
user = user
password = password

There are other projects for dealing with config information but
ConfigParser is included wth python I think.

Hope that helps...

--
Thomas G. Willis
http://paperbackmusic.net