modifiable config files in compiled code?

gaudetteje at gmail.com gaudetteje at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 09:02:22 EST 2005

Hi All,

I've been trying to come up with an elegant solution to this problem,
but can't seem to think of anything better than my solution below.

I have a Python program that needs to be converted into an executable.
The problem is that I have a "config" template file that I've been
using to modify initialization constants such as paths, global
variables, structures, etc.  Obviously, once I convert my code into an
executable I can no longer read/write to my configuration file.

My solution was to convert this config file into a standard ASCII text
document and have Python parse it for user set variables.  This doesn't
seem like the most elegant of solutions; however, and I thought others
must have implemented a better way than this.

Anyone have a better solution for this problem?

Jay