Is Python like VB?

Matthew m_webber_sydney at yahoo.com.au
Thu Mar 17 08:31:04 EST 2005

"Mike Cox" <mikecoxlinux at yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<39sj7hF62s0etU1 at individual.net>...
> As you may or may not know, Microsoft is discontinuing Visual Basic in favor
> of VB.NET and that means I need to find a new easy programming language.  I
> heard that Python is an interpreted language similar to VB.  This means that
> it doesn't have all the hard stuff like pointers, classes and templates like
> C, C++ and assembly language.
>
> Where I work we use  Microsoft Office with a lot of customization using
> Visual Basic.  I would like to switch to Python to do it since VB is being
> discontinued.  Would Python meet our requirements? I need to make lots of
> GUI applications (message boxes, forms, etc.) and do the underlying business
> logic too.
>
> Thanks in advance.

The macro language used within Microsoft Office products is called VBA
- Visual Basic for Applications. It's similar to but not the same as
VB - Visual Basic.

You message hinted that it might be VBA, and not VB, that you use. If
it really is  VBA, then that MAY be unaffected by the drop of support
for VB.