Which kid's beginners programming - Python or Forth?

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Tue Jun 28 23:22:14 EDT 2005

Ivan Van Laningham <ivanlan at pauahtun.org> writes:
> In which case, you should start with PostScript;-)  I learned it by
> plugging a glass tty into the serial port on one of the very first
> AppleWriters and typing away.  None of this fancy-shmancy '>>>'
> business;-)  But what a great reward, having graphics come out the
> printer when you typed 'show'.

This is why Logo came with "turtle graphics". Something very simple,
but very powerfull - and the kids could get immediate results from it.

I'm surprised the OP missed Logo in his search. It's one of the few
languages designed to teach computing to children. There are free
implementations for most popular platforms.

Someone has already provided a link to pylogo. That might be a good
starting place.

         <mike