(OT) lincense protection generator

flupke flupke at nonexistingdomain.com
Thu Jun 2 17:33:27 EDT 2005

I'm going to be distributing a program based on wxPython & python in a
few weeks time. The code will run on windows machines.

Because i don't want the users to move the folders around or mess with
the program or taking copies home to fiddle with it, i was thinking of a
way to check when the program starts that it's still on the same
directory and same computer.

That way i at least avoid unnecessary phone calls asking me for help
when they messed the program up.

I'm thinking of a function that will generate such a code and put it in
a file. Then when the program starts it checks this file and checks the
code in there with a code that it generates at that time again based for
instance on the current directory and other components unique to that
computer. It could be a long string (but what info?) and then take a
hash from it and store the hash value.

How could i construct such a code without being a total pain? For
instance i don't want to check for anything hardware related because
then my program would fail to work once the people change their hardware.
Anyway, it doesn't need to be waterproof. (not possible anyway)

Any ideas?

Regards,
Benedict