Want to learn a language - is Python right?

Harlin Seritt harlin at pythonian.com
Mon Jun 20 11:54:17 EDT 2005

Aziz McTang wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> Thanks for your input.
>
> As usual, hearing some answers helps formulate the question...
>
> What I'm looking for is more to learn one good, comprehensive
> programming language well than several approximately on an ad hoc
> basis. What I also failed to mention is the desire to develop my
> presently limited computer skills a lot further.
>
> So although your answer to 1 suggests I'd be using a steam-roller to
> kill a fly, if I do need to go further (or ask other people to help and
> still understand what's going on: one site I may want to develop later
> involves a number of languages including Japanese as well as audio) I
> won't have to re-learn another program. Is this right?
>
> As to 2, I have yet to find a canned program that does what I want, and
> so far every programmer I've asked to write it has said "hey that's
> easy" then escaped, never to be heard of again.
>
> And 3: good! Actually, having learned half a dozen languages, I can
> vouch for it being an excellent way to acquire and consolidate
> vocabulary. Talking to (or, rather, understanding) the natives is
> another kettle of fish!
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Any new slants from yourself or others are welcome.
>
> Aziz

You can use CherryPy for creating a Python-esque web application. Never buy
into the fluff that says Python is not as good as PHP for web apps! PHP is
still too Perl-Like (meaning old and useless)! Python is the choice of a
new generation baby!!! :) JK...

For your vocab program, Python is actually perfect. This could even go for
apps that require some Unicode and other Internationalization snafus (like
right-to-left characters and Cyrillic typesets).

If you're looking for one programming language then you should consider the
idea that no one language can do it all (although Python comes close in my
biased opinion). Python is not for memory management, writing device
drivers and the like.

As far as needing something for web apps, CherryPy is great -- just learn
Python first. PHP is good but it has fallen out of favor with me though
there are a ton of people out there who think it is the greatest thing
since sliced bread.

Take a look at the Python tutorial: http://docs.python.org/tut/tut.html.

Good luck,

Harlin Seritt