Want to learn a language - is Python right?

Aziz McTang AzizMcTang at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 10:47:04 EDT 2005

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your input.

As usual, hearing some answers helps formulate the question...

What I'm looking for is more to learn one good, comprehensive
programming language well than several approximately on an ad hoc
basis. What I also failed to mention is the desire to develop my
presently limited computer skills a lot further.

So although your answer to 1 suggests I'd be using a steam-roller to
kill a fly, if I do need to go further (or ask other people to help and
still understand what's going on: one site I may want to develop later
involves a number of languages including Japanese as well as audio) I
won't have to re-learn another program. Is this right?

As to 2, I have yet to find a canned program that does what I want, and
so far every programmer I've asked to write it has said "hey that's
easy" then escaped, never to be heard of again.

And 3: good! Actually, having learned half a dozen languages, I can
vouch for it being an excellent way to acquire and consolidate
vocabulary. Talking to (or, rather, understanding) the natives is
another kettle of fish!

Thanks again!

Any new slants from yourself or others are welcome.

Aziz