How do you program in Python?

bruno modulix onurb at xiludom.gro
Mon Jul 4 11:32:49 EDT 2005

Roy Smith wrote:
> bruno modulix <onurb at xiludom.gro> wrote:
>

>>Try Emacs + python-mode. Emacs surely has a lot of warts, but I'm still
>>looking for a better and more versatile code editor/IDE - specially when
>>it comes to languages with REPL (-> Read-Eval-Print Loop).
>

> When you build Python, make sure you build it with Gnu readline support.
> Then you can just fire up an interpreter, and use emacs (or, I suppose, vi)
> editing commands to scroll back through (and change) your input history.
> It's not as good as a real IDE, but it's still very handy for quick
> explorations.
>
> The next step up would be to run a real emacs, do M-X shell, then fire up a
> Python interpreter inside that.
>
> Or, go into split screen mode in emacs, editing your python source file in
> one window and running a shell in the other.  Edit some code in the source
> window, and it takes about 6 keystrokes to save it, flip to the other
> window, and re-run the file (you can get it down to a single keystroke by
> defining a simple macro and binding it to a function key).

Err... actually, using python-mode is *way* more simple:

[ctrl+c ! to launch the REPL (this splits the frame) if it's not already
running]
[ctrl+x o to go back to the source code buffer]

then

ctrl+c ctrl+c to execute the whole buffer in the REPL
or
select a region then ctrl+c ctrl+l to execute the selected region in the
REPL

Of course, the REPL now reflect any changes made into the source code
buffer (even if changes have not been saved) !-)

--
bruno desthuilliers