How do you program in Python?

Chris Smith smitty_one_each at bigfoot.com
Mon Jul 4 20:48:36 EDT 2005

    >> My question isn't as all-encompassing as the subject would
    >> suggest...
    >>
    >> I am almost a Python newbie, but I have discovered that I don't
    >> get along with IDLE, as i can't work out how to run and rerun a
    >> routine without undue messing about.
    >>
    >> What I would really like is something like an old-style BASIC
    >> interpreter, in which I could list, modify and test-run
    >> sections of code, to see the effects of tweaks, without having
    >> to save it each time, or re-typing it over and over
    bruno> (snip)
    >> I see lots of alternate IDEs etc, but which would allow me the
    >> simple interface that I have described?

    bruno> Try Emacs + python-mode. Emacs surely has a lot of warts,
    bruno> but I'm still looking for a better and more versatile code
    bruno> editor/IDE - specially when it comes to languages with REPL
    bruno> (-> Read-Eval-Print Loop).

Emacs is an excellent long-term time investment.
See http://www.emacswiki.org  for good justice.
R,