How do you program in Python?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Mon Jul 4 08:35:59 EDT 2005

bruno modulix <onurb at xiludom.gro> wrote:

> Try Emacs + python-mode. Emacs surely has a lot of warts, but I'm still
> looking for a better and more versatile code editor/IDE - specially when
> it comes to languages with REPL (-> Read-Eval-Print Loop).

When you build Python, make sure you build it with Gnu readline support.
Then you can just fire up an interpreter, and use emacs (or, I suppose, vi)
editing commands to scroll back through (and change) your input history.
It's not as good as a real IDE, but it's still very handy for quick
explorations.

The next step up would be to run a real emacs, do M-X shell, then fire up a
Python interpreter inside that.

Or, go into split screen mode in emacs, editing your python source file in
one window and running a shell in the other.  Edit some code in the source
window, and it takes about 6 keystrokes to save it, flip to the other
window, and re-run the file (you can get it down to a single keystroke by
defining a simple macro and binding it to a function key).