No subject

Adriaan Renting renting at astron.nl
Fri Jul 1 04:54:03 EDT 2005

I'm not a very experienced Python programmer yet, so I might be
mistaken, but there are a few things that would make me prefer C++ over
Python for large (over 500.000 LOC) projects.
- namespaces
- templates
- strong type checking
- data hiding
- more available libraries and more advanced developement tools.

I'm talking about managing the code, not the programmers, the project or
schedules or what have you. Those are independent from the chosen
programming language.

> Ultimately, manageability of a project is far and away more about the
> people involved and the techniques used than it is about any single
> technology involved.

Agreed.

Adriaan Renting        | Email: renting at astron.nl
ASTRON                 | Phone: +31 521 595 217
P.O. Box 2             | GSM:   +31 6 24 25 17 28
NL-7990 AA Dwingeloo   | FAX:   +31 521 597 332
The Netherlands        | Web: http://www.astron.nl/~renting/

Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> writes:

> Harry George wrote:
> > "Adriaan Renting" <renting at astron.nl> writes:
> >>Both VB and Python are easier to learn as the more powerful
> >>languages, the price is that they lack features that make it easier
> >>manage large and complex projects.
> > What is a large project, and what is Python missing that C++ and
Java
> > have for such tasks?
>
> But C++ and Java have features that *management* likes, thus making it
> "easier to manage large projects".  (That says nothing about whether
> or not it makes it easier to produce quality code, successful
> projects, happy customers, large profits, or any such silly
> things... just that it's "easier to manage". ;-)
>
> Less facetiously: I have managed a large Python project or three, and
> several large C++ projects (and, thankfully, no large Java projects)
> and found Python quite up to the task.  In fact, if anything the C++
> projects ended up more in danger of succumbing to the sheer weight of
> the code than did the Python projects.  But I attribute this more to
> the fact that we had evolved to using agile approaches with the Python
> projects than to any of those special features either present or
> lacking in C++.
>
> Ultimately, manageability of a project is far and away more about the
> people involved and the techniques used than it is about any single
> technology involved.
>
> -Peter

That's our experience too (and the reason I asked).  I wonder if the
OP will respond.

harry.g.george at boeing.com
6-6M21 BCA CompArch Design Engineering
Phone: (425) 294-4718