No subject

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Fri Jul 1 09:43:17 EDT 2005

    Adriaan> I'm not a very experienced Python programmer yet, so I might be
    Adriaan> mistaken, but there are a few things that would make me prefer
    Adriaan> C++ over Python for large (over 500.000 LOC) projects.

    Adriaan> - namespaces

Python's go packages, modules, classes.  Plenty of ways to isolate objects
to different namespaces.

    Adriaan> - templates

Not really needed.

    Adriaan> - strong type checking

Python has strong type checking, it's just dynamic.  Writing proper test
cases (which you should be doing anyway) will catch most issues.

    Adriaan> - data hiding

Walls are no substitute for intelligence.

    Adriaan> - more available libraries and more advanced developement tools.

C++ has had a lot longer history of being a mainstream language and has had
the resources of quite a few major corporations behind it, so I would be
surprised if there weren't more libraries and advanced development tools
available.  I suspect the complexity of C++ sort of demands more
sophisticated tools.

Skip