GUI - Windows: Where to get started

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Jul 26 16:08:04 EDT 2005

Ernesto wrote:
> Would anyone know a good place to start for learning how to build
> simple GUI's in Windows XP?  I just want users to be able to select a
> few parameters from a pull-down menu, then be able to run some batch
> files using the parameters from the pull down menus.  I would also need
> a "Browse" menu, so users could point to a place on the local disc (ie
> C:\PointSystemHere).

If you would like to try using wxPython, download and install both it
and the Demo/Docs package, then run the wxPython Demo from your Start
Menu.  It demonstrates a huge variety of features, including pull-down
menus and even (as I recall) running external commands, and more than
that the demo itself provides access to the source code for each feature
so that you can copy and paste into your own program (and edit, of
course, since it's never a perfect fit as-is).

Of course wxPython is just one possible approach to doing GUI work with
Python, and not necessarily the best.  With Python it's easy to quickly
try out each of the main contenders (including Tkinter which, as someone
mentioned, is included standard in Python), so there's no excuse for not
experimenting for an hour first...

-Peter