"A Fundamental Turn Toward Concurrency in Software"

aurora aurora00 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 14:52:03 EST 2005

Of course there are many performance bottleneck, CPU, memory, I/O, network
all the way up to the software design and implementation. As a software
guy myself I would say by far better software design would lead to the
greatest performance gain. But that doesn't mean hardware engineer can sit
back and declare this as "software's problem". Even if we are not writing
CPU intensive application we will certain welcome "free performace gain"
coming from a faster CPU or a more optimized compiler.

I think this is significant because it might signify a paradigm shift.
This might well be a hype, but let's just assume this is future direction
of CPU design. Then we might as well start experimenting now. I would just
throw some random ideas: parallel execution at statement level, look up
symbol and attributes predicitively, parallelize hash function, dictionary
lookup, sorting, list comprehension, etc, background just-in-time
compilation, etc, etc.

One of the author's idea is many of today's main stream technology (like
OO) did not come about suddenly but has cumulated years of research before
becoming widely used. A lot of these ideas may not work or does not seems
to matter much today. But in 10 years we might be really glad that we have
tried.