"A Fundamental Turn Toward Concurrency in Software"

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sat Jan 8 11:07:43 EST 2005

In article <1105171949.823433.72860 at f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
 <michele.simionato at gmail.com> wrote:
>Michele deleted an attribution:
>>
>> <snip> So I've always had it in
>> the back of my mind that languages that can easily support massive
>> (especially automatic) parallelization will have their day in the sun,
>> at least someday.
>
>and the language of the future will be called ... FORTRAN!
>
>:-)
>
>(joking, but it is the only language I know supporting massive
>parallelization ...)

Less of a joke than you think, perhaps.  Back in the early 1980s, a
family friend said something like, "In the year 2000, there will be a
programming language.  I don't know what it will look like, and I don't
know what it will do.  But I do know one thing: it will be called
FORTRAN."

After all, FORTRAN 2003 contains OOP support....

"19. A language that doesn't affect the way you think about programming,
is not worth knowing."  --Alan Perlis