"A Fundamental Turn Toward Concurrency in Software"

Carlos Ribeiro carribeiro at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 17:36:42 EST 2005

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 11:52:03 -0800, aurora <aurora00 at gmail.com> wrote:
> One of the author's idea is many of today's main stream technology (like
> OO) did not come about suddenly but has cumulated years of research before
> becoming widely used. A lot of these ideas may not work or does not seems
> to matter much today. But in 10 years we might be really glad that we have
> tried.

One thing that I would love to see included in Python is a native
library for fast inter-process communication, including support for
message passing primitives and remote object calls. I know that there
are a number of offerings in this arena: third party libraries such as
Pyro, message passing libraries such as the ones from ScyPy, and
standard libraries such as the XMLRPC ones. The key requirements are:
"fast", and "native".

By fast, I mean, highly optimized, and at least as fast (in the same
order of magnitude, let's say) as any other competitive environment
available. By native, it means that it has to be included in the
standard distribution, and has to be as transparent and convenient as
possible. In other words, it has to feel like a native part of the
language.

--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos