Considering python - have a few questions.

sjm at sjmsoft.com sjm at sjmsoft.com
Sun Feb 13 10:15:10 EST 2005

Heather Stovold wrote:

> I am a "retired" programmer, that started in the DOS world.  (Well, I
guess
> I started pre-DOS...).  I learned C++ (for DOS), and Pascal (for DOS)
when I
> was in school - and programmed for several years in Basic.  (Ok - it
wasn't
> my choice - but it was what I was hired to program in - and each
single-user
> license was around $7,000 - so who was I to argue!)   I later did
some stuff
> in Visual Basic, and did some OOP in it.
>
> HOWEVER - I have not programmed a single darned thing for over 5
years.
> And although I do remember how to program in general, I don't seem to
> remember Visual Basic that well...  so I'm looking around.  (After
all, If
> I'm going to have to relearn a language - might as well be worth
while!)

Heather, one of the beauties of Python is that it's rich enough for the
advanced programmer and yet simple enough for the beginner.  I came to
Python after many years as a professional programmer (assembly
languages, Fortran, COBOL, Symstream, PL/1, Natural, C, Perl, Prolog)
and took to Python immediately.  Yet, were my 11 year-old niece to tell
me she wanted to learn to program, I'd steer her toward Python.  You
fall between these two extremes and  I think Python would be an
excellent choice for you.

-- Steve J. Martin