advice needed for simple python web app

Fred Pacquier xnews2 at fredp.lautre.net
Fri Feb 4 06:45:31 EST 2005

"Dan Perl" <danperl at rogers.com> said :

> This is exactly the kind of summary that I think should be in a
> WebProgrammingShootOut (see another one of my postings in this thread)
> but I failed to find such a summary.  Thanks, Brian!  Anyone can add
> to the list?

I myself am also into (very) simple web apps and hence simple, easy-to-
learn web frameworks.

CherryPy is a very nice kit, still simple enough but already (IMO)
somewhat on the powerful, batteries-included side for a beginner -- and,
as you noted, a bit under-documented at the moment.

There are a couple of others that will get you started without too much
effort (in part because simplicity is one of their design points) and
without limiting you too much either : Karrigell by Pierre Quentel and
Snakelets by Irmen de Jong.

They're somewhat similar in scope and concept : it will be mostly a
matter of which one 'fits your brain' best. Myself I settled on
Snakelets, not least because it has some of the better docs out there.

> BTW, there are other people who seem to have been also confused by the
> wide spectrum of choices for this problem:

That's an old debate in the Python world, yes. The "one true way to do
it" motto of the language itself doesn't apply to its web frameworks :)

See the recent "Ruby on Rails" threads for a discussion of whether this
is good or bad...

--
YAFAP : http://www.multimania.com/fredp/