advice needed for simple python web app

Dan Perl danperl at rogers.com
Fri Feb 4 09:20:30 EST 2005

"Paul Rubin" <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote in message
news:7xis58reac.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com...
> If you're just trying to get a conceptual understanding of web
> programming, I suggest you start with cgi.
>
> Next you might want to read Philip and Alex's Guide to Web Publishing:
>
>  http://philip.greenspun.com/panda/
>
> It's out of date and the examples use Tcl and Oracle instead of
> Python, but it's still a good explanation of how database-driven web
> sites work.  The rest (like languages frameworks) is just a matter of
> picking some implementation parameters.

This matches pretty much what I've decided to do.  I'll start with cgi and
CGIHTTPServer because I'll learn more from that and then move to a
framework, quite likely CherryPy, although by that time I may change my
choice.  Philip Greenspun's book looks good and I'll have to go through it.
Thanks for the advice.