Multi-Platform installer generator

Neil Benn benn at cenix-bioscience.com
Fri Feb 11 07:41:48 EST 2005

Nicodemus wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> On windows my company uses Inno Setup to generate installers for our
> products, and on Linux we usually use a simple shell script, but we
> would like to use the same installer generator for both platforms.
> Searching google turned up some multi-platform installers (mostly in
> Java), but I gather that they require a Java VM installed in the
> target system, and that is undesirable for us, since most system don't
> come with a Java VM ready (or am I completely wrong in this aspect?).
>
> <snip>

Hello,

          You can install the JavaVM to use to run the installer (if
there isn't a JVM present on the system - common in windows boxes),
installing JRE is a minimal effort and can be done silently - you can
remove it the same way after if you wish but often Java installers are
used to install Java programs so you don't want to bother doing that.

Cheers,

Neil

--

Neil Benn