Commerical graphing packages?

Erik Johnson spam at nospam.org
Fri Feb 11 15:38:28 EST 2005

    I am wanting to generate dynamic graphs for our website and would rather
not invest the time in developing the code to draw these starting from
graphics primitives. I am looking for something that is... "fairly robust"
but our needs are relatively modest: X-Y scatter plots w/ data point
symbols, multiple data set X-Y line plots, bar charts, etc.

    Preferably this would come from a company that can provide support &
decent documentation, and a package that can be installed without a bunch of
extra hassle (e.g., needs Numeric Python, needs to have the GD library
installed, needs separate JPEG encoders, font libraries, etc.)

    I am aware of ChartDirector (http://www.advsofteng.com/ ) which
explicitly supports python and seems to be about the right level of
sophistication. I don't really know of any other packages in this space, do
you? I am seeking feedback and reccomendations from people who have used
this package or similar ones. I am particularly interested to hear about any
limitations or problems you ran into with whatever package you are using.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post! :)

-ej