any Python equivalent of Math::Polynomial::Solve?

Just just at xs4all.nl
Sat Feb 26 15:59:40 EST 2005

In article <cvqmvt$2rm$1 at e250.ripco.com>,
 jgamble at ripco.com (John M. Gamble) wrote:

> >> The
> >> original source for the algorithm used in the module is
> >> from Hiroshi Murakami's Fortran source, and it shouldn't
> >> be too difficult to repeat the translation process to python.
> >
> >Ah ok, I'll try to locate that (following the instruction in Solve.pm
> >didn't work for me :( ).
> >

> Ouch.  I just did a quick search and found that that site has undergone
> a few changes, and the code that i reference is missing.  A few other
> links in the docs are stale too.  I need to update the documentation.
>
> Anyway, doing a search for 'hqr' and Eispack got me a lot of sites.
> In particular, this one is pretty friendly:
>
> <http://netlib.enseeiht.fr/eispack/>
>
> Look at the source for balanc.f (does the prep-work) and hqr.f
> (does the solving).  Minor annoyance: the real and imaginary
> parts of the roots are in separate arrays.  I combined them into
> complex types in my perl source, in case you want to make a
> comparison.

Thanks! I'll check that out.

> Of course, all this may be moot if the other suggestions
> work out.

SciPy indeed appear to contain a solver, but I'm currently stuck in
trying to _get_ it for my platform (OSX). I'm definitely not going to
install a Fortran compiler just to evaluate it (even though my name is
not "Ilias" ;-). Also, SciPy is _huge_, so maybe a Python translation of
that Fortran code or your Perl code will turn out to be more attractive
after all...

Just