any Python equivalent of Math::Polynomial::Solve?

Just just at xs4all.nl
Sat Feb 26 20:02:09 EST 2005

In article <I68Ud.577$Cg6.256 at twister.rdc-kc.rr.com>,
 "Raymond L. Buvel" <levub137 at wi.rr.com> wrote:

> Just wrote:
> <snip>
> >
> > SciPy indeed appear to contain a solver, but I'm currently stuck in
> > trying to _get_ it for my platform (OSX). I'm definitely not going to
> > install a Fortran compiler just to evaluate it (even though my name is
> > not "Ilias" ;-). Also, SciPy is _huge_, so maybe a Python translation of
> > that Fortran code or your Perl code will turn out to be more attractive
> > after all...
> >
> > Just
>
> The GNU Scientific Library has a nice root finder for polynomials with
> real coefficients.  I have wrapped this with Pyrex to work with my
> ratfun module see:
>
> http://calcrpnpy.sourceforge.net/ratfun.html
>
> If this will suit your needs, I can send you an alpha release of the
> package with the root finder.  It is not pure Python.  I requires Pyrex
> and a C compiler to install.  My guess is that it will work on OSX as
> well as it does on Linux.  This functionality will be included in the
> next release of the ratfun package but I still have to unit test a
> number of components and update the documentation.  Consequently, an
> official release will not happen soon.

Thank you, I'll check this out. I had come across GSL, but not Python
bindings. (GPL is probably a problem for my project, but it's very good
to know anyway.)

On the other hand, I just finished translating the relevant portions of
Math::Polynomial::Solve to Python, so I'm probably all set, at least for
now. Thanks everyone for the responses, especially to John Gamble!

Just