Documentation suggestions

rurpy at yahoo.com rurpy at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 7 17:55:28 EST 2005

skip at pobox.com wrote:
> >> The library reference has so many modules that the table of contents
>     >> is very large.  Again, not really a problem that we can fix;
>     >> splitting it up into separate manuals doesn't seem like it would
>     >> help.
>
>     Iain> I like the Global Module Index in general - it allows quick access
>     Iain> to exactly what I want.  I would like a minor change to it though
>     Iain> - stop words starting with a given letter rolling over to another
>     Iain> column (for example, os.path is at the foot of one column, while
>     Iain> ossaudiodev is at the head of the next), and provide links to each
>     Iain> initial letter at the top of the page.
>
> I know it's not what you asked for, but give
>
>     http://staging.musi-cal.com/modindex/
>
> a try.  See if by dynamically migrating the most frequently requested
> modules to the front of the section it becomes more manageable.

I think this is pretty cool.  But...

Is this only for the online docs?  Would documentaion shipped with
Python exclude this, or have a frozen version of it?

My experience with other machine systems that try to guess what
I will want, is they usually get it wrong, and become more of a burdon
than a help.

Often what I like best is consistency.  I think I'd find it irritating
if
I got used to clicking on one of the frequently used links, and then
discovered it had been bumped.  Even it's changing position might
be irritating.