access to preallocated block of memory?

Greg Copeland gtcopeland at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 16:17:17 EST 2005

I think you're getting caught in OS/platform semantics rather than a
python solution.  I already have access to the block on memory...I
simply need information about existing python facilities which will
allow me to expose the block to python as a native type...from which I
can read byte for byte and optionally write to.  As I originally said,
I have a pointer and the block's length.  I have access to it already.
I simply need to expose it to python.  What facilities already exist to
allow this which do not cause malloc/memcpy on said block?

Thus far, it looks like a hack on mmap is my best bet...I was hoping
that the array module would have something I could use too; which would
prevent me from havining to write my own data type module.